Fancy some good comfort food? France.fr has what you need with these three recipes based on lamb meat and autumn products. On your aprons!
Simmered, braised, stewed … lamb is eaten in many ways. Good news, fall is the perfect season to cook it. We prefer organic lamb, whose responsible production follows the natural reproduction cycle of the ewes in spring. And if you still needed a reason to crack, lamb goes wonderfully with seasonal products such as butternut squash or chestnuts. Convinced? Discover three comforting recipes proposed by the National Interprofessional Association of Cattle and Meats (External link) which twist the great classics of lamb.
Organic lamb stew with chestnuts and pumpkin
© Interbev / Organic lamb – Navarin of lamb with chestnuts and pumpkin.
Ingredients for 4 to 6 people:
- 1.2 kg of boneless organic lamb shoulder cut into large cubes of about 70 g each
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ liter of walnut wine
- ¼ liter of hot water
- 1 C. tablespoon flour
- 2 tbsp. tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 250 g chestnuts
- 300 g of pumpkin
- 1 C. tablespoons walnut oil
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- Heat a cast iron casserole dish with olive oil, brown the lamb cubes for a few minutes over high heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the crushed garlic cloves with their skin, chopped onion, thyme and bay leaf, let brown for a few minutes.
- Deglaze with the walnut wine and let reduce, add the flour and mix, pour ¼ liter of hot water and simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes over very low heat.
- Peel the pumpkin and cut it into cubes, add it with the chestnuts in the casserole dish, mix and continue cooking for 15 minutes, still over very low heat. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and, off the heat, add the walnut oil and mix.
- Serve the organic lamb stew directly in the cooking pot.
Butternut and coconut cream, confit organic leg of lamb and pumpkin seeds
© Interbev / Organic lamb – Cream of butternut and leg of lamb.
Ingredients for 5 people:
- 1/2 piece of shortened organic leg of lamb
- 500 g butternut squash
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 7 cl olive oil
- 5 g fine salt
- 20 cl of whole liquid cream
- 40 cl of unsweetened coconut milk
- 20 g of pumpkin seeds
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground pepper
Preparation of the lamb:
- Season the organic leg of lamb with fine salt and rub it with a head of garlic cut in 2, then color it on all sides in a pan with a dash of olive oil.
- Break the other half of the head of garlic and collect all the cloves, leaving them in their shirts.
- Place half of the garlic in a jacket at the bottom of a dish, put the leg of lamb on top with thyme and bay leaf and cook for 2 hours in the oven at 180 ° C, basting regularly with the juice produced by the leg.
Preparation of the butternut cream:
- Empty the butternut squash, peel it and dice it.
- Peel the shallots and slice them into thin slices. In a hot casserole dish, pour a drizzle of olive oil and sweat the shallots with a pinch of salt.
- Add the squash cubes and garlic, then cook for a few minutes.
- Then add the cream and coconut milk to the height, then continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Then place in the blender with some of the cooking liquid and mix. If necessary, gradually pour in the rest of the cooking juices until a smooth texture is obtained.
- Return everything to the saucepan and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Place a base of butternut cream at the bottom of the plate. Add pieces of candied lamb. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and drizzle with the juice from the organic leg of lamb.
Organic lamb stew with forgotten vegetables
Ingredients for 8 people:
- 1.5 kg of organic lamb neck cut into thick slices
- 4 yellow carrots
- 4 purple carrots
- 2 large rutabagas
- 2 raw beets
- 4 Jerusalem artichokes
- 2 parsley roots
- 1 bunch of tarragon
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 bouquet garni
- Slices of toast
- Fleur de sel and peppercorns
- Place the pieces of organic lamb in a casserole dish, pour water up to the point, bring them to a boil, drain them and rinse them under cold water.
- Clean the casserole dish and put the pieces of lamb back, pour 2 liters of water, add the bouquet garni, the peeled and quartered beets, the whole garlic cloves, salt and pepper and simmer for 1 hour soft.
- Wash the rest of the vegetables and peel them, keeping them whole, add them to the casserole dish and simmer for 1 more hour over very low heat.
- Remove the leaves from the tarragon, wash it and chop it.
- Serve the organic lamb pot-au-feu and its vegetables, sprinkled with tarragon and serve the broth on the side, all accompanied by slices of toast and fleur de sel.